It is the peak of summer, when zucchini, eggplant and tomato harvesting is in full swing. When vegetables are freshly picked and taste their best, it’s the perfect time to experiment with your glorious bounty.
One way to use your harvest is to make a delicious pizza. But, chances are that you don’t want to crank your oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit on a hot summer day!
Here comes the magic of your barbeque.
With the right equipment and a little prep work, you can enjoy delicious and healthy pizza outside while you lounge in the sunshine.
Let’s explore the beauty of summer vegetables with a nod to the French ratatouille in my Summer Harvest Ratatouille Pizza.
Summer Harvest Ratatouille Pizza
½ cup marinara sauce, bottled or homemade 125 ml
½ cup eggplant, thinly sliced rounds 125 ml
½ cup zucchini, thinly sliced rounds 125 ml
½ cup bell pepper, yellow, thinly sliced 125 ml
2 tbsp red onion, thinly sliced 30 ml
½ cup tomatoes, chopped 125 ml
¼ cup black olives, sliced 60 ml
¼ cup feta cheese 60 ml
2 tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped 30 ml
1 lb whole wheat pizza dough 0.45 kg
*You will need extra flour or cornmeal to ensure dough doesn’t stick to pizza peel
- Place a pizza stone on the barbeque and preheat to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Split dough in two pieces. Taking one half at a time, roll out dough into a thin circle or toss dough to shape if you are more experienced.
- Place dough on floured pizza peel or flat cutting board.
- Spoon half of the marinara all over the bottom of the dough and top with half of the eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, red onion, tomatoes, black olives and feta cheese.
- Slide pizza onto the pizza stone and bake for 8-12 minutes until brown and bubbly.
- Top pizza with chopped parsley. Let sit for 1 minute to cool and slices into 8 pieces.
Makes 4-8 servings.
You can serve this with your favourite big salad to create a healthy balanced meal.
What interesting dishes do you cook on the barbeque? Leave a comment below to share your unique recipe ideas!