Last week at Growing Eden, we broke out the barbecue and made some vegetarian friendly falafel burgers. Although these burgers are typically budget friendly, I splurged and purchased everything organic from Whole Foods.
I even got some beautiful heirloom tomatoes to complement these protein-packed patties.
Falafels are primarily made of chickpeas and are traditionally deep-fried. To make a healthier version, we grilled larger patties without any added oil.
Make sure the grill is super hot so the patties don’t stick!
These are not the type of burgers that you slather ketchup and mustard on!
We topped our burgers off with thick slices of heirloom tomatoes, quick-pickled red onions and a delicious feta yogurt sauce with garden fresh cilantro. Then served the burgers with a crisp cucumber, tomato and mint salad.
Our group LOVES saucy things, so I always try to include some kind of interesting condiment.
Next session be sure to see more greens on our plates and a little something from Latin America to warm up the rainy Spring days of Vancouver.
Falafel Burgers with Cilantro Feta Sauce & Pickled Red Onions
1 red onion, thinly sliced into rounds 1
½ cup white vinegar 125 ml
½ tsp salt 2.5 ml
2 x 18oz cans chickpeas, canned, washed and drained 2 x 540ml cans
½ cup onion, red, chopped 125 ml
3 cloves garlic, minced 3 cloves
1 lemon, juiced 1
1 tsp cumin 5 ml
1 T olive oil 15 ml
2 T flour 30 ml
½ cup cilantro, chopped 125 ml
1 cup yogurt, plain 250 ml
¼ cup cilantro, chopped 60 ml
½ lemon, juiced ½
½ cup feta, crumbled 125 ml
to taste salt & pepper to taste
6 buns 6
½ cup tomatoes, sliced thinly 125 ml
6 leaves lettuce 6 leaves
- To make the pickled onions, in a saucepan, bring vinegar and salt to a boil.
- Pour mixture over red onions. Let cool and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- In a blender or food processor, mix chickpeas, onion, garlic, lemon cumin and olive oil until chickpeas are mostly smooth.
- Add flour if too wet, and add cilantro. Pulse to combine.
- Form into 6 equal patties and refrigerate until use.
- To make the sauce, in a small bowl, combine yogurt, cilantro, lemon juice, feta, salt and pepper.
- On a hot grill, cook patties until golden brown, turning over once.
- Assemble the burger with all the fixings and enjoy!
Makes 6 burgers.
Sine, E. (2013). Falafel Burgers with Cilantro Feta Sauce & Pickled Red Onions. Personal Recipe.